One 4-pound whole chicken, excess fat removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T butter
- 4 ounces applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped into large pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 3/4 pounds new potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 T dried thyme, crumbled between your fingers
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 T chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving
- Firstly, season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Tuck the wings behind the back and tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Secondly, in a Dutch oven large enough to hold the chicken, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring as needed, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Place the chicken on its back in the Dutch oven. Cook until nicely browned, 4-5 minutes. Carefully turn the chicken onto its breast and brown for 4-5 minutes longer. (Stick the handle of a long wooden spoon into the cavity of the chicken to help you maneuver it.) Turn the chicken on its side and cook for 4-5 minutes, then repeat on the other side. Transfer the browned chicken to the crock of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, garlic, and thyme to the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring as needed until the vegetables are nicely glazed, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the vegetables to the slow cooker, scattered around and under the chicken so that everything will fit. Add the bacon and wine. Cover set the slow cooker on high, and cook until the chicken and vegetables are very tender about 4 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and set aside to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Finally, using a large spoon, divide the vegetables and broth among serving bowls. You will able to portion the chicken easily with the spoon. Lay the chicken pieces over the vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.