Curried Eggplant Turkey Burgers with Mango Raita Recipes
Serves 4 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 150 min
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/4 lb)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion, plus 4 slices for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp sweet yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced fresh mango
- 3 oz nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. On a rimmed baking sheet, add eggplant and mist all over with cooking spray. Roast for 50 minutes, turning once, until eggplant is very soft and beginning to collapse. Set aside to cool at room temperature, uncovered, for at least 1 hour.
- Once eggplant is cool, halve it lengthwise and scoop out flesh with a spoon. Remove any large clusters of seeds (a few remaining seeds are OK) and coarsely chop flesh. (It should resemble a chunky purée.) Transfer eggplant to a colander over the sink and press on it with a clean dishtowel or paper towel, removing as much liquid as possible. (This can be done a day ahead of time; store eggplant, covered, in refrigerator until ready to use.)
- Prepare mango raita: In a small bowl, stir together mango, yogurt, mint, honey and coriander. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro, salt, curry powder, cumin and cayenne. Add eggplant and combine thoroughly.
- Heat a nonstick skillet on medium. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions and shape into patties, about 1 inch thick each. Add patties to skillet and cook for 6 to 7 minutes per side, until no longer pink in center.
*******Subtracted the Whole-wheat bun, but can add if needed.********
- Raita is a yogurt-based sauce or dip, traditionally used in Pakistan or India. Our raita uses nonfat Greek yogurt, for that same hit of calcium without all the fat.