Being overweight and obese are widely prevalent issues in the Australian population, and this prevalence is rapidly increasing. The Australian Bureau of Statistics published in 2015 suggests 70.8% male and 56.3% female are overweight or obese in Australia. 27.4% of Australian aged 5 to 17 years are overweight or obese. Various studies indicate that obesity may run in families. Research shows that children of obese parents may be more than twice as likely to be obese themselves.
Medical professionals have an important role to play in early intervention and prevention of obesity and related issues. The Australian Medical Association considers bariatric surgery, an effective measure to ensure long-term reductions in weight and improved health outcomes. Although the surgery may prove effective for obese adults, in exceptional cases, obese adolescents with significant co-morbidities can also benefit substantially from these type of weight loss surgeries.
Obesity can affect your overall health. It is rapidly overtaking smoking as a major cause of preventable deaths in Australia. Here are few of the adverse health effects of obesity.
- It may result in various preventable and non-communicable diseases and can be a major risk factor for chronic conditions such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, high cholesterol, stroke, reflux, sleep apnea, musculoskeletal disorders and impaired psychosocial functioning.
- It is known to shorten life-expectancy and impair life quality.
- Obesity has also been linked to various forms of cancer and there is a growing consensus that a significant portion of new cancer cases is related to overweight or obesity.
Understand that you are not alone, and at Perth Surgical & Bariatrics, we are here to help you overcome this disease and put you back on track to lead a healthy life. Where diet and exercise fail, the only option is weight-loss surgery.
Perth Surgical & Bariatrics offers medical services to assess your needs and develop approaches that are specifically tailored to work for you. Our bariatric surgical options may include:
Benefits of Losing Weight
The benefits of healthy weight and eating control are numerous and obvious.
- Everyone feels better physically and emotionally when their weight is under control.
- High blood pressure, sleep apnea, reflux, diabetes, cholesterol problems and other health problems have been demonstrated to be improved and/or easier to control.
- Costs associated with medical intervention, health care costs and medication are vastly reduced.
- Physical activities that once weren’t possible, may be possible once again.
It is, however, important to understand that weight loss should be gradual, sustained, and accompanied by careful attention to proper nutrition during this period. That is the reason why PSB provides a comprehensive post-surgical support program.
Thinking of Weight Loss Surgery?
If your BMI is over 35 or above, and all your efforts to lose weight with diet and exercise have been unsuccessful, then you may need to explore your surgical weight-loss options. Fill out our contact form and our experts will contact you, shortly. Alternatively, simply call 893-709-686.