An Overview of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
December 8, 2016
Vertical sleeve gastrectomy or gastric sleeve surgery, considered one of the most effective weight loss surgeries, is the result of years of improvements made on gastroplasty and anti-reflux procedures. The surgical procedure is minimally invasive and irreversible, which means that during surgery, the size of the stomach is permanently reduced to approximately 15 percent of its original size. The substantially reduced size of the stomach has a dual effect: (1) it accommodates less food and (2) secretes less gut hormones, which further helps in keeping a check on diet pattern, blood sugar, cholesterol, and other such dynamics. Let us read further to know how sleeve gastrectomy works.
How Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Helps You Lose Weight
Performed using laparoscopic technology, sleeve gastrectomy is a procedure in which the surgeon removes a portion of the stomach along with the greater curvature, which gives it a sleeve or tube-like shape. The idea behind the reductive approach is that the reduced size of the stomach will hold less food and considerably reduce the secretion of gut hormones, thereby helping patients lose weight without having to starve themselves or pumping iron for countless hours.
Preoperative Recommendations for Patients
- Adapt to the new lifestyle at least two weeks before surgery, so that the transition post-surgery is easy.
- Lose a few pounds to reduce the size of the liver, making it easy for surgeons to operate and reduce the risks of intraoperative damage.
- Undergo comprehensive medical evaluation, which includes medical history, causes of obesity, and possible complications.
- Proactively control obesity and related conditions such as blood pressure, diabetes, and others, before surgery.
- Attend support group sessions to ease the anxiety and keep yourself driven to achieve permanent weight loss.
Complications post sleeve gastrectomy may arise in patients with severe obesity disorders, however, negligible. Potential complications include:
- Staple line leaks or failure
- Blood clotting and wound site infections
- Nutritional Deficiencies
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
The Way Forward
Vertical sleeve gastrectomy/gastric sleeve surgery is an effective solution for weight loss and health improvement in obese patients. The results from the procedure, however, may vary. To learn more about sleeve gastrectomy, feel free to schedule a consultation with the surgeons at Perth Surgicals and Bariatrics. Our team is equipped with extensive experience in performing various weight loss surgeries, maintaining exceptionally low complication rates. Book an appointment by giving us a call at 0893709686 or fill out our contact form and we’ll get back to you, shortly.