All You Need to Know About Water Intake Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery
December 8, 2017
Water plays a key role in keeping body cells, hair and skin hydrated, and to flush out waste from the body. As the food intake reduces than the normal diet, post weight loss surgery, it is important for patients to make sure that they include enough water in their daily diet. Lack of water can not only hamper the results of the weight loss surgery, but can also lead to a number of health-related concerns. To help ensure it doesn’t happen to you, in the post, we discuss different ways to include water in your diet, post bariatric surgery. Read on.
- Drink 2 to 3 glasses of non-carbonated water/liquid per day. There are claims that carbonated water leads to loss of calcium in bones, causes tooth decay, and can lead to weight gain even when the drink is sugar-free.
- Drink only sugar-free beverages. If you are addicted to sugary beverages, make sure you don’t intake more than 5 calories per 8-ounce serving. A huge amount of sugary beverages intake can lead to weight gain and obesity.
Useful read – 5 Essential Nutrients Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Though it is advisable to avoid caffeinated beverages, you can have 8 to 16 ounces of caffeinated beverages per day. Having too much of caffeine as part of your daily diet can dehydrate your body and lead to various health-related problems.
- If you are addicted to coffee or tea, make sure it is sugar-free and fat-free.
- For fast weight loss results, it is recommended to stop drinking any type of fluid 15 minutes before and after a meal.
- Say no to drinking fluids along with the meals as it interferes with the digestion.
- You can resume drinking liquids 30 to 60 minutes after your meal.
The best way to check whether you are drinking enough water is by checking the concentration of your urine—if you are properly hydrated, the color of the urine should be very light.
Whether you have undergone a sleeve gastrectomy or any other weight loss surgery, it is important to consume enough water to keep yourself hydrated. Water not only keeps you hydrated, but also helps you remove waste from your body. Though the above-mentioned plan will help you ensure enough intake of water, post surgery, it is still advisable to consult your bariatric surgeon or a dietician. If you or someone you know is looking for gastric sleeve surgery in Australia, we at Perth Surgical & Bariatrics can help. To learn more about our bariatric surgery procedures or to learn about the diet after weight loss surgery, schedule an appointment or you can also call us at 08 9370 9686.